There are 3 ways we can work together:
If you’ve already written your masterpiece book—or at least a draft or three of it—editing is what you’re looking for. Editing is the ultimate in transforming your words from good to great, making sure that everything you want to say comes across clearly and commandingly to the people who need to hear it.
Benefits of editing include:
- In-depth project evaluation to determine what your text needs and what the editing process will include (aka clarifying what works and what needs work before the work actually begins)
- Multiple editing passes through the text to ensure that the content, the language, and the polish are all up to highest standards (aka handling the big issues and the small ones both)
- Dedicated author-editor interaction and discussion throughout (aka making sure we’re both happy with the final results)
- Author veto on a percentage of edits (aka if there are a few changes I make that you don’t like, we can talk about changing them back)
- A final draft that’s ready to be designed and published right away (aka no hesitation about whether it’s good enough anymore)
Editing tends to take between 2-4 months, potentially longer if the book is really long or needs a lot of extra work. Packages start between $3,000 and $5,000.
Ready to talk about editing your book? Apply for a free 30min consult here.
If you know you want to write this masterpiece book yourself, but you’re feeling lost as to where to start, what to do first, how to get your ideas out of your head and onto paper, and/or how to keep on track through the writing process, working with a book coach is a great option for you.
Benefits of book coaching include:
- In-depth project evaluation to determine what you need from a book coach and how best to set up your work together (aka knowing what you’re getting into before you start)
- Dedicated strategy sessions to clarify your goals, your audience, the premise of your book, and why you’re the best person to say what you’re saying (aka writing your introduction without realizing you’re writing it)
- Guidance through the process of outlining (aka turning your mental folder of ideas into an organized writing plan)
- An individualized writing strategy keyed to you and your needs (aka setting things up so you don’t dread fitting writing into your schedule)
- Weekly accountability and clarity calls (aka helping you stay on track when life gets crazy)
- An editor-ready first draft (aka finishing the book this year rather than at some indefinite later point when the free time to write magically appears)
- Guidance to rewrite your first draft after you finish writing it (aka taking your words from good to great)
Book coaching tends to run between 3 and 6 months and can go as long as 8, depending on how quickly you want to write. The first 1-2 months cover all the strategy sessions and outlining, and the remaining months are dedicated to writing and rewriting. Packages start at $2,000 per month with a 3-month minimum.
Thinking book coaching is what you need? Apply for a free 30min consult here.
Ghostwriting is the flip side of book coaching, where you know you need this masterpiece book but you know there’s no way you’ll be able to write it yourself. Maybe you’ve got way too much on your plate already, maybe you aren’t a skilled writer, maybe you’ve tried and it didn’t feel right, or maybe you just don’t want to! Whatever the reason, if you want this book to happen without having to do most of the work yourself, ghostwriting is the service you need.
Benefits of ghostwriting include:
- In-depth project evaluation to determine the needs of the book (aka putting together a plan before diving into our work together)
- Synthesis of your current content into the message of your new book (aka drawing from writing you’ve already done to create a foundation for the writing we’re about to do)
- Thorough interviews with you to set up and flesh out the outline (aka getting all your ideas out of your head and organized)
- Options for writing the text: either more interviews to talk you through it or writing it from the outline myself (aka letting you be as involved as you want to be with the writing process)
- Extensive review process of each draft with you (aka quality control involving both of us)
- Up to two major rewrites if needed (aka if I don’t get it right the first time, we’re not done yet)
- One editing pass from an external editor (aka getting someone else’s eyes on the text than my own)
- A final draft that’s ready to be designed and published right away (aka not needing to be put off again and again until you finally have time to write)
Ghostwriting provides the most work for the least amount of time on the author’s part. The tradeoff is that I take over that time, so ghostwriting projects tend to be longer—usually 4-8 months and sometimes as long as 12. A typical ghostwritten book falls between 20,000 and 30,000 words. Packages start at $15,000.
Thinking ghostwriting is what you need? Apply for a free 30min consult here.
The Project Evaluation
You’ve probably noticed that each of these services starts with a project evaluation. This step is the transition between talking about your project and actually starting it, and as such it can be booked as part of a project package (if you know you’re ready to go) or individually (if you’d like to do a trial run first). Project evaluations typically take 1-2 weeks.
The evaluation serves three purposes:
- To give you a clear sense of what working with me will include and entail before you make a full financial commitment,
- To give me as clear a sense of what I’ll need to bring to your project to make it a masterpiece, and
- To allow me to give you a clear and accurate timeline and investment proposal for the project
So for your project evaluation, I will evaluate your book draft, outline, strategy, and/or plan in depth, and put together a detailed report of your project’s needs, including a proposed timeline and price quote. For book coaching, this evaluation includes a preliminary book creation strategy; for editing, it includes a sample edit of approx. 2,000 words; and for ghostwriting it includes a sample written chapter of approx. 2,000 words. This gives you not only my opinion on the project’s needs but also a snapshot of how I’d work on it.
A typical evaluation costs $1,000-$3,000, depending on what kind of work it includes and a few other factors. The good news, however, is that if you start a full project with me within 30 days of the eval, I’ll deduct the eval fee from the project fee so you’re not paying me twice for the same work .
Ready to set up an evaluation? Apply for a free 30min consult here.
Contracts & Payments
All project and evaluation work is governed by two contracts: a Master Client Services Agreement covering our general work together; and a Statement of Work that specifies the terms of each evaluation or project in detail. These documents will be reviewed and signed by both parties before work begins.
Payments can be made by credit card or PayPal invoice. Work will begin once the first agreed-upon payment is received.
If you have other questions about working with me, take a look at my FAQ.